St Andrew’s and St Mark’s Church of England Junior School
MAPLE ROAD, SURBITON, KT6 4AL. HEADTEACHER: ALISON VIGURS 020 8390 2976
The school is a thriving community of over 250 children and adults where the aim is to equip young learners with confidence, skills, attitudes and qualities to realise their full potential within a Christian environment.
Founded in 1948, the original school was named St. Andrew’s Primary. The building cost £1,200 and the school provided an education for 40 boys and 40 girls – who were taught separately! In addition the school offered an education for 10 infants. The old school – then in St. Andrew’s Road in Surbiton – expanded and expanded but eventually closed its doors for the last time. A brand new, purpose-built St. Andrew’s and St. Mark’s C. of E. School opened on its present site in 1972. It soon became evident that the premises were too small to cope with the increasing population of Surbiton. Financial constraints prevented Southwark Diocesan Board of Education from expanding the school building so, two years later, Maple Infants’ School opened as a Local Education Authority maintained school.
St. Andrew’s and St. Mark’s (SASM) School comprises eight classes arranged on two floors. Facilities also include five group teaching rooms, a fully equipped ICT Suite, a hall, library, medical room and offices. Pleasant grounds have been developed to include an environmental garden, adventure playground equipment, shaded areas with seating and an outdoor stage. As a Voluntary Aided Church School maintained by the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames and the Southwark Diocesan Board of Education, maintenance of the school building is the governors’ responsibility. Repairs and improvements to the building depend greatly on the financial contributions we receive from the parents.